Sunday, September 27, 2009

Deja Vu

I remember as a kid I really wanted to learn how to roller skate and ride a "real bike." My dad was the one who was usually assigned the task of teaching me such things. Lucky him. I had a complete melt-down when he came home with a 10-speed bike instead of a smaller one. I thought there was no way I would ever be able to ride that thing. And roller skating...let's just say he ended up making me take off the skates and he pulled me around the rink in my red socks. Looking back, I can see why teaching me these things were frustrating for him. I give up easily when frustrated and think, "This is too hard for me." I have the patience of a gnat.

I saw the EXACT same thing with Amelia today, or as Brad likes to call her "Catherine Jr." He was teaching her how to ride the tricycle we got her for her 2nd birthday in April. I purposefully have delayed teaching her. I knew how it would all go down. Just call it mother's intuition. There was crying. There was back arching. There was a lot of, "It's too hard." It's going to take some practice.

So dad, I would like to apologize for my behavior. I know it's about 20+ years too late. You are a saint. And mom, you were smart for not getting involved.

0 Talk to Me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...